I was tagged for the Three Bookish Things Book Tag by the lovely Siobhan’s Novelties and you should definitely go and check out her fantastic blog!
THREE READ ONCE AND LOVED AUTHORS:
- Fredrik Backman – I adore his books and am always excited when he publishes something new. His books know exactly how to rip out your heart and make you feel everything his characters do!
- Madeline Miller – I became one of her biggest fans as soon as I finished reading Song of Achilles and my love for her work was confirmed when Circe was published this year. Her writing is gorgeous and lyrical and she breathes so much life into the characters of Greek mythology.
- Karin Slaughter – I love her books. I love her writing. I love her characters. She is a fantastic author of so many amazing and gritty thrillers and I hope there are many more to come in the future.
THREE TITLES I’VE WATCHED BUT HAVEN’T READ:
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien – I really like the LOTR movies (especially Viggo Mortensen as Aragon) but I just couldn’t get into the style of the books. I know loads of people love them but they just weren’t for me.
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher – I’ve watched both seasons of this show and I thought it was pretty great. I can completely see why people have issues with it and I certainly agree with some of them. I do think it glamourises suicide a bit which is a dangerous thing to do but I think the show is engrossing and well acted. I’m not particularly keen to read the book though for some reason.
- Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – I liked Gone Girl a lot and I like Amy Adams so I was excited to watch this new TV show. It’s pretty strange but I’m enjoying it and I’m actually glad I haven’t read the book as I don’t want to know where it will all end up.
THREE CHARACTERS YOU LOVE:
- Ove from A Man Called Ove – He is one of my absolute favourites. He is so grumpy and persnickety but has such a warm and loving heart. Plus it is a fantastic book!
- Sirius Black from Harry Potter – He’s my favourite character from HP and I had/have such a crush on him which started when I first read Prisoner of Azkaban at about 13! I don’t like the movie version at all as I don’t think Gary Oldman was the right choice even though he’s a great actor (he’s about 15/20 years older than Sirius is supposed to be in the books which just bugs me) but I am still completely in love with book Sirius!
- Liesel Meminger from The Book Thief – It’s my favourite book and she is one of the strongest and bravest characters I have ever read about. I love her spirit throughout the book and the way she treats people around her.
THREE SERIES BINGED:
- Harry Potter by JK Rowling – I binge read this series all the time and I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it. The books mean so much to me!
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I read this series years ago mostly to see what all the fuss was about and I really enjoyed it. I don’t particularly like Mockingjay as I think it was rushed but I do think the series on the whole is pretty great and original.
- Grant County Series by Karin Slaughter – I’m actually reading book six in this series at the moment and I’m terrified about how it’s going to end. It is such a dark, compelling world to read about and I am so fond of the characters.
THREE UNPOPULAR BOOKISH OPINIONS:
- I really don’t like the Harry Potter films at all. I know it would be impossible to please everyone as everybody has different ideas in their heads about how it should have been but it just really bugged me when they took out things I thought were vital to the story and added in things that did not happen like the fire at the Burrow for example.
- I really hate the words ‘Women’s fiction’ and ‘Chick Lit’. I find it kind of offensive and it has nothing to do with the books in that genre. They are not my thing but I completely respect everyone’s right to read whatever they want! I just don’t get why that genre has that label – there is no genre called ‘Men’s Fiction’ so why is there one for women? I’m sure lots of men read those kind of books too and I just find the whole thing sexist and irritating!
- This ones also Harry Potter related and I feel kind of guilty even writing it but I am not as huge a fan of Hermione Granger as everyone else seems to be. Don’t get me wrong – I think she is brave and intelligent and a good female role model but I also think she was often pretty judgmental and condescending throughout parts of the books and I kind of feel she is seen as perfect by the fandom and I just don’t get it. Please don’t hate me!
THREE CURRENT FAVOURITE BOOK COVERS:
These are three book covers that I’m really loving at the moment!
THREE BOOKISH GOALS FOR THE YEAR:
- I need to get my Netgalley ARCS under control and stop requesting more until I have read and reviewed the ones I’ve already got! It’s just so hard to resist!
- I want to read the A Court of Thorns and Roses series because I feel like everybody else already has and maybe I’m missing out on something!
- I want to start reading a few more classics and also give Wuthering Heights another try because I wasn’t into it at all when I was a teenager but I am intrigued as to whether I will feel differently about it now.
I will tag a few lovely book bloggers but no pressure!